Saturday, January 27, 2007

What Is Love?

I know I need it, but I'm not sure what it means to me anymore.
I’m on a quest to find the meaning of love. I don’t know how to explain what it is, but I can explain what is isn’t.
It sure isn’t the guy sitting next to me in the bar, who has chatted me up two night and leads me on as if he’s single, but has been married for thirty years. That insignificant-to-him fact is only revealed after direct, specific questioning.
He had already told me all about his business, his hobbies, his land, his cattle, his ranch. He neglected to mention the little woman.
“So do you live there by yourself?”
“No, I have a family.”
“Do you have a wife?”
“Well, uh, yea, but she leads her life, I lead mine...”
That’s not love. That’s co-dependency.
I’m still on my quest.

No comments: