Wednesday, January 3, 2007

MUSICAL HIGHLIGHT 2006 #4

RINGO STARR & THE ALL-STARRS
July 3, 2006 Nokia Theater

The first time I met Ringo Starr was in 2004. I’d been loving and listening to him and his Beatle band-mates since I was 7 years old. Meeting a Beatle, and working for him, even if only one day, made for a whole ‘nother article, which I may re-publish here someday. Suffice to say I was thrilled.
This time was almost as much fun as the first time. A new band of All-Starrs included Rod Argent, Richard Marx, Sheila E, Billy Squier, Edgar Winter, and Hamish Stuart. Though I was familiar with these names, and admire their respective talents, the only one I would have gone to see without Ringo was Edgar Winter. And then only if it was convenient.
Together, these artists put on a great show; top-notch, professional and fun. Granted, I am totally biased towards any Beatle, but when Rod Argent from The Zombies tickled “She’s Not There” out of the ivories, I really wanted to get my groove on right there! What a great song! And Sheila E always blows me away with her drumming abilities. Simply amazing, that woman is a dynamo on-stage and a sweetheart offstage. Edgar Winter teamed up with Billy Squier for a gut-bucket version of “Ramblin’ on My Mind.” Even Richard Marx overcame his pop stereotype and showed why he deserves the limelight, too.
There were moments during this night when I was fourteen years old again. Anytime music transports me that easily makes for a musical highlight. Ringo, and whomever he brings along for the ride, will always be one of mine.

No comments: