Sunday, December 31, 2006

Musical Highlights of 2006-- #2

JAMES GANG--Nokia Theater
I have loved Joe Walsh since I first saw him become one with his guitar in 1972-3(?). I watched in awe as he led a band called Barnstorm on stage at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green Ohio back then.
I’d never seen nor heard a person and an instrument merge like Joe and his guitar did that night. I continued to love his talent through the Eagles, his solo stuff, and his recordings with The James Gang.
Though I’d heard the music of the James Gang on radio, and the band members were all from my mid western state, I was too young to attend any performances they might have been doing when Walsh was with them.
So now, in August 2006, I get a chance to see the re-united Walsh version of the Gang.
Joe Walsh, Jimmy Fox and Dale Gilmore have come back to have fun, revive the music of the Gang, and give Joe a chance to shine again. Joe said in a radio interview that playing with the Gang allowed him to go different places musically and get into his guitar more than when he had to be a professional sideman with other talented players to perform songs with rigid parts. This was for fun, he said.
True to his word, it was fun for everyone!
The James Gang played their biggest hits and best album songs. Fox and Gilmore smiled all night long while onstage, spreading positive energy along with their excellent playing skills.
Joe was just Joe. Wise-cracking, humble, and the coolest guy in the room,any room, anywhere.
The music was magnificent, and the Gang even backed Walsh on some purely Walsh hits. The crowd loved it. The band loved it. It was a great concert.
Before the show, in my job as backstage runner, I had knocked on Joe’s dressing room
door to hand over an awaited package. Joe answered, with his guitar hanging in front, and I realized I had just interrupted his warm-up.
The beautiful music I’d heard as I rapped on the door was him playing his guitar. I had ignorantly thought it was recorded music.
“Hi!,” He said with a wide smile, standing there in his stocking feet.” What can I do for you?”
He was acting just as friendly as if I was an old neighbor looking for a cup of sugar. I told him what I had and handed it to him. I met his smile with one of my own.
“Anything else I can help with?,” he said.
I said something which meant no, and thanks, and I went on about my business. I was not the coolest one in the room, but sure felt like one of the luckiest.

No comments: