Monday, December 18, 2006

COMPANY PARTY/ Production Assisting Gone Awry

Some of my co-workers were caught by surprise by my entrance. Usually I am 'au nature'l in my capacity as a rock-n-roll runner. Tonight, make-upped, coiffed and nicely clothed, I received second looks and sincere compliments.
Is that a commentary on how bad I usually look at work or how good I can appear?
In all fairness, usually my co-workers see me during a 17-18 hour workday that starts at eight AM. And the people that show up for an eight o'clock concert as customers, freshly scrubbed and sweet-smelling, look even better next to me since I've already been working for twelve hours. I make them look good!!!
Nice mix of people. A charismatic man who caught my eye was named after a major roadway in the metroplex. Or should I say the road was named after his father. Whatever. It was fun to meet a face behind a road. That doesn't happen every day.
I even became re-aquainted with a very personable woman I mingled with at a blues bar many years ago, who is now married to one of the head honchos of the company.
"Hi!!! Why are you here?" she asked me. "Hi!! Why are YOU here?!!" I responded.
Well, this ol' bar aquaintenence, who I've also watched fight a hard battle with breast cancer, had married into my company's executive strata. I've worked for this company for four years and had never made the connection. It happened tonight. Some things just take time. Repeat. Some things just take time.
I got a little bit drunker than I intended, but only because Austin the bartender was a generous pour-er. The food was marvelous, even when cooler than ideal. The famous Dallas restaurant that catered this affair earns their good reputation. P. F. Changs, thank you.
Right now, at 11:55 PM, I feel closer to many of the people I've worked with this past four years. Real connecting or Jack and coke?
I'm usually good at parties, if given half a chance. And I've had a good vibe present in my life the past couple weeks. Some of the people I work with expresed their appreciation to me for my job performance. Good bartender or sincere?
(I'll find out when I see everyone sober again at the next show)
I like how I can have a pleasant evening just about wherever I go. I think that's a real good thing.
Happy holiday parties!

No comments: