Monday, September 24, 2007

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

I'm selling my car of eleven years.
I'm anguished at the thought of saying goodbye to it. It feels like I'm breaking up with a very good friend.
I bought it brand new, half a year after my husband died. It was the first car I'd ever chosen and bought, totally and completely, by myself.
It's still shiny, pretty, and clean. I've kept good care of it during the 108,000 miles we've shared.
It took good care of me, too. The only time it ever stopped on the road was when I ran out of gas late one night.
It was a cool car for me to have, this white-hot Mustang GT.
It was fun to drive it everywhere.
I feel silly using the word anguished when speaking of a material good. But my emotion is palpable.
Selling it is a must. I'm more than prepared to do that. But feeling such sadness has caught me by surprise.
I almost believe that car has a certain "energy." That energy ingratiated itself into my life, and I enjoyed it.
Now the time has come for me to get to know another car. And to let someone else use that good ol' Mustang GT energy to enrich their lives.
Either that, or some idiot will wrap it around a tree.
That would really break my heart.

No comments: